Fran Campbell MSN, RN, MEd, PMHCNS-BC, CARN, FIAAN
Fran Campbell is a graduate of Wheeling Hospital School of Nursing. She earned her BSN from Ohio State University, and her Master’s Degree in Counselor Education as well as a Master’s Degree in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing from the University of Pittsburgh.
Got into the field of Addictions Nursing on a fluke. Owing the VA 2 years of my life because they sponsored my Master’s Degree in Psych Mental Health Nursing, they were going to place me on an Alzheimer’s unit to work. I begged “isn’t there any place that you could use me where I can talk to people as I learned to do in the program the VA just paid thousands of dollars for?” The Chief Nurse looked on her desk and replied “this just came across my desk this morning, the head nurse on the Substance Abuse Inpatient Rehab Unit is retiring in three weeks.” I said “are you offering?” She looked at me and replied “are you accepting?” I said “yes.” She replied “sight unseen?” I replied “sight unseen.” And that is how it all started.
- Board Member of National Nurses Society on Addictions 1990 -1992
- Wrote the document Fifteen Years History of The National Nurses Society on Addictions 1975-1990.
- FAN Board from 2008 – 2020
- Associate Editor of the first Core Curriculum of Addiction Nursing 1990
- Head Nurse of the VA Substance Abuse Inpatient Rehab Program 1985-1987
- Co-authored 2 books on Dual Diagnosis,
- Speaker and trainer for dual diagnosis focused treatment throughout the country.
- Helped with development and design of the Center for Psychiatric and Chemical Dependency Services at the University of Pittsburgh, Medical Center 1987. This was one of the earliest programs in the country, addressing dual diagnosis. The program continues to this date. Served as the Coordinator for 15 years.
- Substance Use and Mental Health Evaluator for Center for Aviation Medicine, Dr. Peter Lambrou, Practice Owner. Substance Use and Mental Health Evaluation for Pilots. These evaluations were sent to the FAA. 2008 – 2018.
- National Football League- Treating Clinician in the Substance abuse Program 2006 – present - The only nurse in such a position.
- Evaluator for the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing for the past 25 years, conducting evaluations for nurses, and other licensed professionals with substance abuse or mental health issues.